Hey guys! I finally took the plunge and decided to participate in the July Edition of Beautiful People. Beautiful People is a linkup hosted by Sky and Cait and it’s designed to help writers get to know their characters. For a while now, I’d been wrestling with the plot of my book (The Good, The Bad, The Inbetween or TGTBTI) and writer’s block but yesterday I finally sat down and fixed it..I think. Anyway, I decided I needed to flesh out my characters some more and I know Beautiful People will help me do that. TGTBTI alternates between the POVs of my two MC’s: Sara and Sindhu so this post is going to feature both of them. (The images below were taken from the pinterest board dedicated to TGTBTI. The girl on the left is Sara and the girl on the right is Sindhu.)
1. What’s their favourite ice cream flavour?
Sindhu loves cookies n’ cream icecream while Sara prefers vanilla.
2. Your character is getting ready for a night out. Where are they going? What are they wearing? Who will they be with?
Sindhu is a very shy, introverted character but she does love her night outs with friends. I think Sindhu would probably wear a sweater dress over black leggings and boots. Sara would probably pick something like a black strapless mini (that just happens to show some cleavage). The MC’s usually play the role of “good girls” and hang out at the nearest Starbuck’s coffee shop in Stanley but if they really want to party, they’ll head to a bar in Lan Kwai Fong. Sindhu doesn’t have very many friends because she can be pretty antisocial but Sara occasionally hangs out with people from their school.
3. Look at your character’s feet. Describe what you see there. Do they wear dress shoes, gym shoes, or none at all? Are they in socks that are ratty and full of holes? What do they consider comfortable and what do they consider agony?
Sindhu is all about comfort so she’ll be wearing sports shoes 90% of the time. Heels are the bane of her existence but Sara loves them (too bad you can’t run in them right?).
4. Do they have any birthmark or scars? Where are they and how did they get them?
Sara doesn’t have a birthmark but Sindhu has one right next to her belly button.
5. What kind of music do they listen to? Does it change depending on their mood or is it always consistent? (Feel free to share samples!)
The music definitely changes depending on their mood – they both like to listen to something that matches their mood and gravitate toward the more “popular” songs. Sindhu likes bollywood music and Sara occasionally listens to American pop music.
6. Do they have any musical talent? Play an instrument? How’s their singing voice?
Sindhu is in Women’s Choir so she has a great singing voice (but she never does solos because *ack* stage fright!). Sara’s really outspoken and confident but unfortunately she doesn’t make music.
7. What kind of book would you catch them reading?
Sindhu: The Fault in our Stars
Sara: Pretty Little Liars
8. How would they spend their summers (or their holidays)?
Sara would go to Hawaii and spend 90% of her time on the beach. Sindhu, on the other hand, would probably be holed up in her room, reading something or watching youtube.
9. It’s Saturday at noon. What is your character doing? Give details. Ex. If they’re eating breakfast, what’s on the menu? Are they hiking, shopping, lazing around?
Sara will be waking up because she slept late last night. Then she’s going to eat some frozen yogurt and granola bars for breakfast (she’s lazy). Sindhu is probably trying and failing to do homework because she has a huge stack of library books waiting to be read…and then decides to just eat lunch (dhal and rice).
10. Is there anything your character wants to be free of?
Sara is trying to overcome her anxiety issues – she used pills to cope before and that ruined her friendship with Sindhu. But after Shawn’s death, she can’t bear the thought of living life in a daze any more. Sindhu is struggling with the guilt she feels for not taking action after finding out what Shawn was going through. She thinks that if she had done something, he might not have had suicide.
So what are you guys working on at the moment? I’d love to read any teasers/snippets/summaries and anything else you want to share with me.