So last week, there was a a bit of drama in the blogosphere. I was only a witness (but I did comment on the post that started it all and agreed with a lot of the points that it made). However, I later read a couple of other posts pointing out the problematic aspects of that original post and I realized that while that post made some good points, it was also a bit negative and seemed to judge other bloggers.
While this community is, as I like to put it, fucking awesome, that post and the drama that happened inspired me to brainstorm some pros and cons to commenting on controversial topics.
Pros of Speaking Up
- A lot of people might actually agree with you! Sometimes it just takes that one blog post or tweet to stimulate discussion. There are so many times I’ve decided to stay quiet about my thoughts on something, only to discover that quite a few other bloggers have similar opinions.
- Some things need to be said and, especially for those with large followings, your words can make a difference.
Cons of Speaking up!
- You might end up sparking an disagreement that grows out of hand…Sometimes it can be difficult to express your opinions politely (and there might still be backlash even if you weren’t being rude).
- It’s possible to become the target of a whole lot of hate.
- You might spend an hour staring at your computer screen wondering how to respond….
To me, the number of pros and cons is more or less the same. However, I think it’s also important to keep in mind that intent can also determine the reaction. If someone is just trying to start a conversation or remind people to be more open-minded, their words are less likely to be received negatively.